Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Nats

Yesterday Jamie and I went to see a Washington Nationals baseball game. Dr. Sellers has shared season tickets with some other people. Last night he had 2 tickets and he was out of town, so he gave them to me and Jamie. THANK YOU!!!


So, we left at about 6:15 for a 7:05 game. Ha. At 7:05 we were driving through DC listening to the starting pitch on the radio. Sad, but next time we know better.

We finally got there at about 7:25 or so, parked, made our way in, and found our seats. It had been a stressful time, but hearing the sound of the crowd roaring from outside the stadium put a smile on my face that I couldn't wipe off. (Well, I got it off relatively soon - I didn't just have a silly grin on my face the whole night!)


When we found our seats we couldn't believe it. I mean, Dr. Sellers told me they were good seats, but these were amazing. Probably 12 rows back (the first row behind the super-important-people-who-get-their-snacks-brought-to-them) and right behind home plate. We could practically see the expression on the pitcher's face as he threw the ball. I've never paid attention to a baseball game in my life, but this was exciting and fun!


(Plus, there was the human interest aspect because I knew something about the pitcher. One of the ladies at work is married to the Nats' chaplain and this pitcher is their player rep and a REALLY good guy with a really cute kid who is known as "gwand swam boy" at work where we like to hear stories about him.)


So, anyway, we stayed for the whole game, got ice cream, popcorn, and the souveneir coke, and sang "Take me out to the ball game". We also enjoyed all the between inning stuff, like the "Presidential Race" where 4 "presidents" raced to home plate...and then walked out via the aisle right by us. We loved the whole thing!





The moral of the story? If you have a friend (or boss) who offers you 2 $50 tickets to a major league baseball game, DO IT!

1 comment:

OpaOma said...

Nice, Catherine. I'm not sure about baseball, but I love to see a live ballgame. Including the shouting. Makes you feel real good inside. I'm also glad to hear that you know "Take me out to the ballgame". That is one of the first English songs I taught your Mom. It will come in handy at the reunion. That will be one song we all know. Love you, Oma.