Saturday, June 23, 2007

Rainbo

I just got off the phone with my best friend from junior high and high school. We talked for THREE HOURS! Now I remember what it was like in junior high and high school when we would talk on the phone for that long every night. (Of course, that phone time also included lots of algebra, geometry, etc.)

We met during the summer after 6th grade at some meeting for talented and gifted kids. Then, in junior high we were in a lot of the same classes and things progressed from there. I'm not sure how we moved from classmates to best friends. Maybe from when our algebra teacher told us to exchange phone numbers so we could call each other for help with our homework (which we definitely did for almost all our math for the next 6 years). Maybe from the Odyssey of the Mind team that my dad coached and that we both poured our lives into. (We won a prize that year because our entire script was a "poem". "It was long ago and the years have gone. The creature is dead, but the story lives on. 'I am Maerona of this ocean place. I wonder what that is in front of my face?'" Ha ha. I can recite more if you're interested... It might even be from the shared experience of seeing our 7th grade English teacher cry for no apparent reason or from getting an "F for the day" almost every day from Mrs. Wymore - and then an A for the semester. (Don't ask me how that worked.)

So, it was a good conversation filled with catching up on each others lives from the past 10 months, discussion of how healthy churches should look and how this generation is going to pot (we're so old!), and sympathy and encouragement for living Christian lives even through our sinfulness. Ahhhhh. There's something good about a long conversation with an old friend...even if it does give me a headache and make my ear hurt!

I love the bond in Jesus that keeps us together even after so many years. Friends truly are friends forever if the Lord's the Lord of them. (That one's for you Rebecca! :) )

1 comment:

rjr said...

"...beacuse a lifetime's not too long...to live as friends!" :)